View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 6, 2010, 8:24 PM
joining the rail club

Route 15 traffic targeted in northern York County
Friday, February 05, 2010
Paul Reichart,

The amendment is being designed to address traffic problems expected along the Route 15 corridor in coming years.

According to a December report, traffic is expected to rise more than 40 percent in the next 10 years and more than 80 percent by 2034.

Beth Nidam of the York County Planning Commission has described the Northern York section of Route 15 as a "hot spot" for development.

BACKGROUND:Unlike the limited-access highway drivers find in Cumberland County to the north and Adams County to the south, the York County portion of Route 15 has 16 crossroads and many other access points that have raised safety concerns.

The crash rate already exceeds the state average, and the highway was the scene of 10 fatalities between 2004 and 2008.

http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriot...380.xml&coll=1

i believed there were plans at one time to extend the limited access south into York County. i really think that's the smart thing to do here. York County and parts of northern Frederick County, MD are the only sections between Harrisburg and Washington DC (Route 15's connection with I-270) to NOT be constructed as limited access highway. i'd like to see an extension of I-270 north of Frederick into PA in the future. i traveled that route quite a bit when I worked at Ft. Belvoir, VA.