View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 7, 2017, 5:19 AM
Biased in a good way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
They aren't "subconsciously derivative", they are derivative and that's how architectural bodies of work are. You don't see anyone complaining that all the Frank Lloyd Wrights in Oak Park are "derivative" of each other do you? No one is complaining that all the old Chicago School skyscrapers downtown Chicago are derivative are they? Good design is good design even if it explores some of the same ideas as previous designs.
You're taking my point too seriously. Subconsciously derivative: "Hmmm, X reminds me of Y!" vs "X is X. Y is Y." Not a cardinal sin by any metric, it just tilts thoughts in the direction of the former now. In fact, I'm sure many people really like a cross-referential dynamic to their city's architecture (cough* Sears-Hancock). And there still is. I'd just rather have the two buildings have distinct identities. Not that they still don't.

Obviously all skyscrapers share similar characteristics, especially in a city where Mies van der Rohe left such a mark. To complain about 110 N Wacker when we could have literal boxes is silly, and I'm not trying to do that.