View Single Post
Old Posted May 30, 2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPhi View Post
First of all, there have been plenty of great skyscraper designs over the past few years and, while popular, not many people believe that Aqua is "the best."
My exact words were "one of the best to come out of the US." You would do well to read more carefully.

Quote:
Second, your belief that most of America's most important architecture is from Chicago Architects or in Chicago is not really true. This is a belief that I held when I lived full-time in Chicago, but have increasingly realized is untrue. If we look at current American Starchitects, almost all of them are in New York. And while SOM is important, so is KPF. The firt international style scraper in the US was in Philly. If we look back to the first Chicago school, Frank furness in Philly and Grahm Anderson Probst White in NY were equally influential and important in their domains. And later, Phillip Johnson, Lecourbusier, Walter Gropius etc. all designed modern buildings as important as Mies Van Der Rohe. The Glass House was built before the Farnsworth house, if only by a few years..
Look, I know you just got out in the world and are excited about all the new things you're learning, but one year's worth of architecture courses does not a historian make. This is the last I will say because I feel I am wasting my time.

Quote:
Now back to the building. To whomever was saying that the style has no substance and the curves happen for no reason, I will say this: technically, Mies was right, Less is more when trying to find a particular purpose. But Venturi said less is a bore.