View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 15, 2021, 4:52 PM
somewhere in-between

Traverse City -

I'm still struggling to wrap my brain around all of the housing proposals that are currently active in TC. I've been building a development map of parcels that have active proposals & construction in Google, and populating the rundown accordingly. Once the map is further along I'll try to share it.

This article mentions no less than ten mid / high-density housing developments that are recently completed, under construction, or in the works in TC. And there are at least five other active proposals with a housing component not mentioned in here that I've come across to-date.

Quote:
Rental Housing Projects Planned For Downtown TC
By Beth Milligan | The Ticker
October 17, 2020
The main focus of the article is a new rental apartment complex proposal - for Wellington St. - across from Safe Harbor (emergency shelter & provisioning center). The developer is Woda Cooper Companies. They were also behind the Brookside Commons and Boardman Lake Apartments affordable housing projects (completed in January 2016). The 58 Unit, 4-story proposal is called "Ruth Park" and is considered a "family development" - meaning it will allow for a mix of ages, family units, and income-based rents. Woda received $1.2 million in MSHDA funding in October 2020, after several previous applications failed. The TCHC ultimately helped them get approval by allocating nine housing vouchers to the project, bumping its score high enough on the state's grading matrix to qualify for the low-income housing tax credits. Total construction cost is estimated at $14.1 million. The three existing industrial buildings on this side of the street will be demolished and construction is expected to commence this spring. Woda is reportedly scoping out other potential development locations in TC -

Source: The Ticker | Courtesy PCI Design Group

The article then mentions that TCHC did receive some (but not all) of the MSDHA funding requested to remodel the 9 story, 80,000 SF, 115-unit Riverview Terrace apartments at 150 Pine St.. They are hoping for some additional funding by June or July of this year, before they kickoff an extensive remodel. However, the Commission did NOT receive MSDHA funding in the 2020 cycle for the planned Parkview Apartments. Construction is noted as "on-hold" until they reapply this year, which I think is happening now, or quite soon -

Riverview Terrace -

Source: Traverse City Record-Eagle | Michael Stump

Parkview Apartments, Proposed (on hold) -

Source: The Ticker

The article next mentions Breakwater Apartments (completed late 2020 and shared previously on here). Then it addresses several downtown housing projects not mentioned on here yet. The first is a mixed-use development planned for the city-owned Parking Lot G, next to Mode's Bum Steer (restaurant) on E. State St. I think this is more of a general plan than a true proposal at this point. The article mentions the DDA hoped to have an RFP out by the end of 2020 for this site, but I don't see anything yet. There are at least three other city-owned surface lots that TC / the DDA wants to prioritize redevelopment of - Lot O, Lot T, and Lot X - with RFP's expected in Spring of this year. So... maybe they will lump Lot G in with those other three lots? The city also has its eyes on at least three other surface lots and six vacant parcels that it owns, that could be developed even further down the road.

The desired Lot G mixed-use development would provide a new home for TCF Bank (formerly Chemical Bank) on the ground floor with rental units above. TCF would then vacate its current space across the street so that it can be demolished to make way for a new civic development at that Southeast corner of E State & S. Union Sts. known as "Rotary Square" (more on that in a future post).

If your head isn't spinning enough yet, the article concludes by mentioning two Great Lakes Capital Projects. The first, at 309 W. Front St., would be a four-story, ~ 100-unit mixed-use project along the Boardman River (next to the currently u/c 4Front HQ building). The second, located across the street at 124 W. Front St., would be a four-story, 80-unit mixed-use development. I'll be looking for renderings for these two projects to post on here.

Last edited by deja vu; Mar 12, 2021 at 9:07 PM.