Old Posted Dec 1, 2011, 12:11 AM
New Yorker for life

http://www.dnainfo.com/20111130/manh...ty-tech-campus

Mayor Bloomberg Narrows Field For New City Tech Campus

November 30, 2011
By Jill Colvin

Quote:
It’s down to four... maybe?

The city has narrowed its choices for a new city-subsidized high-tech university campus, which could end up on Roosevelt Island, down to four, knocking three contenders out of the race, Mayor Michael Bloomberg said Tuesday.

“We had 27 applicants. We whittled it down to seven. I think we've told three that they’re not going to make it and that we’re working with the last four,” the mayor told an audience at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Tuesday.

But when the mayor was pressed for details Wednesday on the ousted schools, he appeared to backtrack. “I don’t know that the four is the right number, incidentally," he told reporters at a press conference in Queens.

A spokeswoman for the mayor did not immediately respond to requests for clarification. The mayor refused to say Wednesday which bids are still in the running. "No," he told reporters, when asked point blank.

But the mayor did provide some hints on who might be left.

“Stanford is desperate to do it, I’m not exaggerating,” he said at MIT. “Cornell is desperate to do it. I'm not exaggerating there. There are a couple of other schools that have a really good chance as well.”

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.