View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 3:57 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Calgary's airport is just about as far out as the international. You still have to deal with all the checkins and security there.
As the crow flies:

YEG's terminal is about 25km from downtown Edmonton. About 10km from the nearest residential development that could be considered part of the Edmonton metro area.

YYC's terminal is about 10km from downtown Calgary. About 3km from the nearest residential development.

I don't dispute the rest of what you've said, but Leduc International is much further away from Edmonton than YYC is from Calgary.

Oddly enough, when I used to fly through the muni there was little to no security. It was like a bus depot basically. When Peace Air got moved to YEG we suddenly had to deal with ridiculous security (actually de-boarding a plane, walking all the way through and out of the secured area, back through security, and then back onto the very same plane). I always thought it was stupid, but the old arrangement was a joke too: any idiot could have taken a bomb or guns with him from Peace River, and landed in the post-security area at YYC. And then passed them on to any other passenger boarding any plane going anywhere in Canada or internationally (likely couldn't get to the US side).