View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 23, 2009, 11:43 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
Damn, that is some serious old school!

[ ... ]

I know Union Station also used to have a really ornate Grand Concourse that was leveled in the early '70s; any interior shots of that by chance?
Funny you should ask. I didn't take this one; my aunt, Jeraldine C. Baumgartner, M.D., took it in the early 1950s when she traveled frequently on the Broadway Limited between Fort Wayne and Chicago. I have the Rolleiflex 3.5 twin-lens reflex that she used, and it still works nicely. This scan is from a print about 14x17 that she made then.

The old Chicago Northwestern Station (1911) (Frost and Granger) was several years older than Union Station (1913-1925). The design of Union Station was initiated by DH Burnham Company, but Burnham died in 1912 before the project was executed. The project was completed by successor firm Graham, Anderson, Probst, and White, which firm also designed Cleveland's 1930 Terminal Tower incorporating Cleveland Union Terminal.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Oct 24, 2009 at 6:07 PM.