View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 19, 2012, 2:48 PM

Quote:
Neighbours cool to revamped hotel plans

A developer has changed plans for a new 12-storey hotel in downtown St. John's, although some people living nearby are not thrilled about what the new building will mean.

Manga Hotels has tweaked plans to put a Hilton hotel at New Gower and Springdale streets, near the existing Delta Hotel. The site is currently vacant land.

On Wednesday night, about two dozen people attended an informal information session at city hall to review plans for the hotel and learn what its construction may mean.

Peggy Bishop, who lives in a nearby apartment complex, told CBC News she is not keen on another hotel on her doorstep.

"I'm on the fifth floor and I've got a fantastic view of St. John's and I don't want to lose it," said Bishop, adding that the west end of New Gower Street will soon become dense with the addition of two new office towers.

"There's another office building just around the corner. That's going up, another 12-storey building. And then there's another hotel. I mean, how many do they need?"

Residents asked questions about increased traffic as well as whether there will be enough parking.

But Ron Fougere, the architect designing the building, said parking should not be a problem.

"There [are] no weddings occurring here, there's no large functions, there's no groups of cars," he said.

The extended-stay hotel will market its higher-end accommodation to business travellers.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...eting-419.html

So I guess the proposal isn't dead after all. No images of the new proposal are seen in the video along with the article (unless you guys can find something on the table during the video I missed). But the people interviewed in the video are the best example of what's wrong with some people who live downtown. NIMBY'ism, it's here to stay.

However, council only rejected this proposal because of design issues. If the design is sufficient enough, it could get approved, especially considering even Shannie said a hotel will end up on this lot eventually.