View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 11, 2019, 3:33 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
Union stationhas amazing food options now, yes a mall style food court, but also restaurants and bars now. 1000x better then what we has before and better then other station Ive been at in North America.
True but they promised a food hall worthy of a major rail station. Perhaps it passes as such by north American standards but it's nowhere close to what I expected. I assume you've not been to Europe.

The Union Station expansion was a multi-year/multi-billion dollar project. I thought we were surely getting something many levels better than a shopping mall food court. I have to admit, when I saw the ceiling height my hopes for it plummeted. There was no way in hell they were going to get a 'rail terminal food hall' with ceiling heights that low.

And I wouldn't use North American rail stations as a benchmark. That's a terribly low threshold although San Francisco's Transbay Terminal looks like it will vastly improve upon the status quo. Toronto has to decide if its in the game (compete head on with London, San Francisco, New York, etc) or its not in the game. If it's in the game just improving on what was there before isn't necessarily good enough.

Last edited by isaidso; Mar 11, 2019 at 3:49 AM.