View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 15, 2007, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
Ozone, you're not the only one on this thread that lives in the grid. Many of us do. I walk miles every week in the grid. So do most of the people I know that live midtown, including many on this forum. I have to be honest with you, I have NEVER heard one person that lives in the grid other than you complain about one-way streets. I just don't see the problem and people I know just aren't talking about it, so it must not be a problem in their eyes either.

The city spends too much f#$%ing money playing around with the streets. First it's parallel parking, then it's Diagonal. First it's a four-way stop, then it's a traffic circle. First it's two-way, then it's one-way, then maybe it's two-way again? Add to all this the countless traffic studies, environmental impact reports, lawsuits, etc. It's just nonsense. The streets are fine. Let's work on something else!
That's too funny. Yeah I'm the only one complaining. Gee it must all be in my head that's why the City has been working on a public-driven central city traffic plan. I have so much power.

I'm sorry brandon but I don't feel it's nonsense at all. It's seems to me that the one's who don't appreciate the need for the conversions are ones that mostly drive and/or do not live on one-way streets.

I have friends who don't see a problem with the one-ways either. But then again they almost always drive everywhere and they aren't very aware of what's going on around them when they do walk around.

I suggest the book "How cities Work" by Alex Marshall. He makes a strong point that the way people get around the city has a lot more to do with what get's built and the quality of life than any zoning, height regulation, etc.

Should we be working on something else? Why can't we work on more than one thing? I'd rather we have an wholstic approach rather than piecemeal one. Obviously, despite your and your friends views there are many others in the Grid who respectfully share a different opinion.