View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 11, 2017, 7:12 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Lace posted a picture of Quebec City in another thread that shows the contrast with Atlantic Canadian cities perfectly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laceoflight View Post
1. Quartier Saint-Sauveur

Winter in Quebec City by Pierre-Olivier Fortin, sur Flickr
There is absolutely zero of that in St. John's. I couldn't even fake it with camera angles. Good post, Someone123:

In the core (basically, inside Empire Avenue, the former ring-railroad), there are different types of rowhouse neighbourhoods that run from mine at the poor end (flat-front, two-floor) to the Ecclesiastical District at the rich end (broad, three-floor rowhouses with bay windows and servants' garrets).

Beyond that, you have post-war suburbia. Some interesting and innovative examples of it from the mid-1940s here, but still post-war suburbia (even though some was built with the intention of streetcars). There's no real visual difference between Cowan Heights and Little Canada, or Georgestown and Hoylestown, but the neighbourhoods are distinct just the same.

See the giant Pippy Park block? Just below that is a neighbourhood called Churchill Park. That already is post-war suburbia. So you can see the rowhouse neighbourhoods between that and the harbour take up quite little space.