View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 5:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honte View Post
Well, even though I don't really think it's a noteworthy piece of architecture, in all fairness this is a shallow argument. I guess you've never done much rehab work, but all of the things showing in the images were cosmetic or, if structural, likely very minor. I saw no evidence whatsoever that the building could not be renovated.
What's worth saving? I find the argument that any of that interior is worth saving rather shallow, so it's an unuseful exercise to force a study of reuse when the developer has a plan to put the land to good use as a hotel - and that interior offers nothing of any value whatsoever to a hotel use. Even if ripping out the dropped ceiling reveals some nice crown moldings, or gutting the bathrooms uncover some nice tilework, none of these would contribute to an economically viable hotel development. By all means look at re-using the facade, but there is probably .01% of the interior worth saving, and that can be salvaged and re-used in some new context other than something that could be considered "preservation of the interior."

Fair enough, though: a dilapidated moldy interior alone does not necessitate that a building is completely unsalvagable or unrestorable. If the developer were seeking to restore this into an active hospital, it could likely be accomplished without complete demolition.

Last edited by VivaLFuego; Nov 17, 2008 at 5:30 AM.