View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 12, 2012, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
While small potatoes compared to the heavyweights, I'm still curious how Calgary would rank within the list. The economic activity is substantial with all the energy companies (within the Canadian context), and it already has more large company headquarters than Montreal. It is certainly an 'emerging' city. Vancouver would also be interesting, with its cultural and tourism assets, as well as consistent international investment over the last decade or more.

Calgary has been doing real well this past decade, and, I'm a little curious as well..I wouldn't doubt that Calgary cracks the top 100 for sure..Especially if things keep booming the way they are. Having said that, it's still a secondary Canadian city the same way Vancouver, Winnipeg, and Edmonton is. It's "Cape-town" or "Adelaide".No doubt that it's emerging, but as far as Global "presence," it still has a way to go to catch up to Montreal which is still down in 30th place.Obviously Montreal's ranking isn't based solely on Head offices planted there. Houston, another oil-headquarters city would be a good guage, but they also have NASA and is almost 5 times the size of Calgary..I don't even think it cracked the top 50.