View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 12, 2014, 10:56 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Residential buildings are mostly bland. They're only slightly better than hotels usually, and usually far less interesting than office towers, which tend to be like peacock architecture - "Hey look at me!" Most people don't really care what hotels look like and are mostly just interested in a good location and a good night's sleep in a clean room. Residential buildings aren't so important on the outside as they are on the inside. Location, amenities and good places to eat and shop nearby are key, and good materials and layouts inside. Office buildings are the opposite, though. Most are pretty bland inside except for the lobbies and conference rooms/executive suites. Where office buildings count visually is on the outside to attract tenants. Location is less important, but it doesn't hurt to be within walking distance of lunch and tenants (employees) usually want good parking.
Come on Kevin. You and I both have been on this board for more than 10 years. I know you know better than that.

“Residential buildings are mostly bland” is subjective, and a very broad stroke of a comment, don’t you think?

I also disagree with your dictum regarding hotels. People do care what they look like. And it is another broad stroke to speak for “most people” in that allegation.

When you are fighting for tenants or buyers, heck, yes, the external façade is important. I will say, maybe not the most important aspect of the entire development; but an important one nonetheless.

With regard to office towers, the interior finish out, in most cases, is up to the tenant. So some may be “bland” while others will be pretty cool.

Also, location is ALWAYS important…not matter what the context.