View Single Post
Old Posted Nov 7, 2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickvug View Post
For those that might be interested, I pulled New Westminster's position paper out of tonight's council agenda. See http://imgur.com/a/3tIPx. Note that it is an unapproved draft at this point but I'd wager that approval at the council table is a lock. As expected they are making a case for Option C.
I don't actually think Option C is horrible. It is expensive though and doesn't really have long term benefits.

I think the biggest issue with New West is they don't really want any truck traffic despite the fact that they sit between 2 major industrial areas so they can't avoid it at all. They would be better off just embracing that corridor as a transport corridor and go with the best option for moving stuff QUICKLY through their city which seems to be Option A.

But they would never do that given it (Option A) is closer to the spirit of the NFPR of past which they were completely against. They couldn't possibly now support that option.

We'll see I guess. I just really dislike the interface with HWY1 for both Options A and B. I think it is extremely confusing and would lead to some awkward access to the various streets. Also, in my experience, one of the biggest bottle necks is at Braid street and only Option A remove that entirely. Heck I had to go not far from Ikea just last Saturday. It was 12 noon on a weekend, and it took me longer to get through the braid intersection than it did to get there from Surrey Central over the Patullo bridge. There was actually a point where a train was going by and all the traffic directions were red lighted for 4 minutes (I counted). Made absolutely no sense. I was sitting there thinking "Why can't we move over the overpass? Why is our light red with a train going parallel? This is stupidly designed."