View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 11, 2017, 1:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Yeah, and that's really hurt those cities in terms of their international significance and popularity as world-class tourist destinations.
I agree height is not the be all, end all, but let's not compare apples to oranges here. Pretty much the only elite global cities with minimal skylines are ancient cities from Europe, with thousands-year old history. Even there, cities like London are now starting to buck the trend. In North America, Asia, the Middle East, Australia, and other places, major cities generally have major skylines. The reason for some major South American, African, and Indian cities not having major skylines is more of an issue of economic might and capability rather than planned structure.
Flight path limitations to height (such as in Boston or San Diego) are definitely not in the same category as chosen height limits. And I find that the limitations are generally a sore spot for most Bostonians who care about these kinds of frivolities lol (like us weirdos). Boston's still is doing the most it can with its limits and has about a dozen 400+ foot buildings in the works I believe, so it's not like they're staying put.
As for Washington D.C., I guess they're the exception that proves the rule
(And they're not technically a city either )