Thread: Rapid Transit
View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 16, 2011, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarbera View Post
Converting a large stretch of Main from two-way to one-way does seem to be contrary to the overall traffic plans for the lower city. I am also concerned about the idea of general traffic lanes in the core. LRT without dedicated right of way is nothing more than a glorified streetcar. Experience in Toronto shows that the shared road access has a significant negative impact on transit service levels, particularly during peak periods. Transit staff should seriously consider splitting the LRT onto two roads in this stretch in order to maintain dedicated right of way.
While I don't share your concern over the loss of traffic lanes in the core, I do think that, because this is a significant topic of worry for Hamiltonians at large, it would probably be best to plan for a 2-way LRT on Main in order to put this anxiety to rest and accelerate the planning process with maximum public support.

The fact that it will make the LRT faster, (possibly) help slow down traffic and improve the pedestrian experience on the most pedestrian-unfriendly street in the core, and help mitigate the risk of mixed traffic accidents by keeping the train on its own ROW is an added bonus.