View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 28, 2017, 2:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipster duck View Post
Well, here we are. 23 posts in and not a single person has come to the defense of the Elementary Teachers' Federation or Idle No More on this issue.

And I think that SSP Canada is a good litmus test of whether a radical social policy will sink or float. I mean, you have a forum that's disproportionately made up of gay, educated and left-leaning urbanites. The forum is also made up of people who have a deeper than average knowledge of history and geography and a greater-than-average commitment to the communities they live in. We're not exactly polling people outside of a Tim Horton's drive thru here. If you can't find someone to rush to your defense on this forum, then you're probably doomed to fail.
My gut tells me that a good chunk of our political élites will nonetheless be responsive to the teachers and Idle No More, regardless of the views of the population in general.

You see this in Europe where polls show a clear disconnect between what the people want and government policy decisions. In some cases these things don't end up being deal-breakers or ballot issues and the political élites do end up surviving the storm.

But there is an inherent danger in this when the people have had enough and decide that there is only one side that truly shares their views and can be counted on to act upon them.

And these days that side is usually... you-know-who.