View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 16, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by migol24 View Post
why not get rid of the taxes? why not demand that they pay for their own medical expenses in good libertarian fashion? why should we be implementing arbitrary laws on people doing something when they do not directly affect my rights?

the video game analogy doesn't even vaguely resemble the smokers who poison the air that i breathe, a basic human need, that in and of itself infringes directly on my rights and everyone else's. meanwhile, the boy playing video games, through no fault of his own is being taken the blame for how crappy our healthcare system is. it's a good ol' fashion straw man argument. if we had a problem with paying high taxes because of the costs of medicaid/medicare than we figure out other ways to make it work rather than leaving the kid to blame.

i would only agree with everyone if the businesses are really taking the bad end of it.... and for the most part it would seem like they are, but who's really complaining?
The health care system is fine. Its people who don't take of their bodies that is a big contributor to the problem. 80% of health care costs are incurred by 20% of the population, much caused by chronic conditions that can be avoided if one takes care of their body. i.e. less video games, which would lead to less diabetes.

http://www.ahrq.gov/research/ria19/expendria.htm#diff1