View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 3:07 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swinefeld View Post
Maybe with global warming even Philadelphia will have palm trees in the future. But it wold look kinda weird. Anyway, I liked the photos.
I don't see why not, within the urban heat island. I have a European Palm planted in my backyard here in St. Louis and that's not even the heartiest variety. I've definitely seen them in DC and I know of people who have them in Cincinnati. Draw a line connecting those three cities and then up along the coast a little further and you get an idea of where palms can grow in a reliable fashion within urban heat islands. Obviously I wouldnt spend a lot of time and money on them, because they will eventually get got (except *maybe* the heartiest variety) if you don't cover and heat them during cold snaps, but this winter was no problem (obviously).

I'm thinking about buying a needle palm for the front of the house, edit - here's the range...the east coast of the US benefits a lot from the marine influence...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...dlepalmmap.PNG

Last edited by Centropolis; Mar 13, 2012 at 3:24 PM.