View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 9:21 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toronto6A6B View Post
That's encouraging, did you see any palm trees (windmill palms or others) that are adult size in Cincinnati ?
No, but if I'm not mistaken the guy who literally wrote the book on growing northern palm trees is from Cincy. I think both Cincy and St. Louis have a tendency to set palms out in the summer in parks and even along city streets like in the median, so it can be deceiving what is year round or not.

I'm in St. Louis, Missouri, btw, with full southern exposure and urban heat island in full effect. I am usually 4 degrees or so warmer than the official temperature. I know in reading about growing D.C. palms, how much influence the urban heat island had on where you were in the region was very important. People grow them year round in Baltimore, too apparently.

A bad winter would probably wipe everything out here, unless a specimen was really established. But I have no idea. My Chamaerops humilis (in the above picture I posted) survived this winter about 80-90% intact (some browned fronds) and is already greening up really nicely.

My understanding is that you *might* be able to grow some palms in Toronto if you were well into the city and made sure that you watched the temperatures really closely and had the time to properly wrap/cover and heat (either with a block heater or christmas lights). I don't know what the average Toronto winter is like...if it's anything like Chicago you are going to have a challenge, to be sure.