View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandor31 View Post
I'm sure BC Ferries would be supportive of this move. The Horseshoe Bay ferry terminal is congested with both marine traffic and limited storage for waiting vehicles. Reducing the terminal to service only Nanaimo (Departure Bay) and Bowen Island would likely be very beneficial. It is also quoted as requiring a $200 million upgrade just to maintain the status quo. If the Langdale route was removed perhaps this number could come down.

There was also talk of cancelling the Dept Bay-Horseshoe Bay route because of these problems, but that was shot down my Minister Stone.

This Globe and Mail article sums up most of these things:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle22609804/
Thanks. I forgot to touch on this. This is also something that will be taken into account. The Horseshoe bay ferry terminal cant handle current capacity as is and its nearly impossible to expand / upgrade due to space constraints / nimby's / and not being able to re route ferries to other terminals. In fact something they may look into is moving the Nanaimo ferry to Langdale and re developing the Horse shoe bay terminal and keeping only the bowen island ferry...although that would add significant time to vehicle passengers going to/from Vancouver. But I am sure this scenario will still be looked at, along with the option of cutting the Powell River to Comox ferry (which would suck).