View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 10, 2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Newfoundland is not like the Maritimes. Historically they are really two quite different regions, with moderately dissimilar origins and culture.

I betcha NL would have voted "no", just like Quebec, but not quite to the same degree.

I'm not surprised the highest proportion in favour of prohibition was on PEI. They passed their own prohibition bill in 1901 and it was not finally repealed until 1948 - the very last jurisdiction in North America to do so. Of course, this made the local moonshiners on PEI very popular. Even in the 1960s, when I was growing up, moonshining was still an honourable occupation in pockets of rural PEI. Usually the moonshiners lived well out in the country in very small houses, but tended to have very large cars.

NS had almost as great a "yes" vote as PEI. Although NS repealed prohibition considerably earlier than PEI, they left the issue up to local municipalities to decide if they wanted to maintain it locally. I believe there are still a couple of rural municipalities in NS which are still nominally "dry".............
The city of Steinbach Manitoba was "dry" until 2004. Here is a funny story about the RM of Hanover that just assumed it was dry until someone actually looked at the statutes and couldn't find anything!
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...-ban-1.2717272

Like all other pious communities, there is one day of abstinence and 6 days of hell raising!