View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 14, 2013, 4:22 PM

Forget for a minute the colors, forget for a minute the materials, forget for a minute the attempt to add some value to the property, what you really have here is a blatant attempt to dazzle and confuse in order to circumvent regulations.

The bottom line here is that no matter what this addition will ultimately look, like the reality is that it will extend an 11 story wall along the waterfront and set a precedent that could lead to that wall being further extended. Remember the Fortis proposal, hmmm, perhaps they should come back to the table with a revised 11 story “block” instead of the 15 story tower, and the hotel at 123 Water, didn’t they scale back from 11 stories to 8? Where has that left them?

This is not so much the thin edge of the wedge but more of a very THICK edge of the wedge.

I blame council for this as much as anyone, their attempt to rezone the AP Garage site due to its “historical” use as a parking lot has forced the developer’s hand to come back with a proposal that enhances the value of their investment. (The details in the document outline the process that was taking place behind closed doors).

My guess is that given their “druthers” SONCO would much rather bulldoze the garage and put up a nice hotel (within the guidelines) but this council is so obsessed with parking that they want to force the issue.

I have a feeling that the loudest fireworks on the 4th of July will be at the public meeting at City Hall, not over the skies of Washington.