View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 30, 2013, 2:47 AM
Fourth and Main

Triad Regional Government Council Building - Completed!
Construction is complete on the regional government headquarters, so I removed it from the list above. It is the economic development recruitment office for the 12 county area and operates massive regional databases used in recruiting employers, so it is also an IT center. The group has large mobile operations too and this provides a place for that.

One of the more interesting features are treadmill desks. People who work there or use the services are exercising at their desk.

Hilltop House South - Topped Out!
This innovative structure is finally topped-out and should open sometime this spring. They still have brick work and the balconies to finish. If you're looking for more affordable apartments, but with all of your favorite amenities, Hilltop House is for you. It helps solve the problem of young professionals being priced-out of the apartment market.

Source: City of Winston-Salem

Centennial Art Project - Construction
The twin towers structure above is being constructed right now and will appear near First and Liberty streets very soon.

IBM now among Winston-Salem Tech Employers
IBM now employs 360 and growing.

Salem Creek Connector - Construction!
The last piece of Research Parkway is now under construction and it will open-up the southern end of eastern downtown to development. Salem College has already purchased or is in the process of buying the land around this project, so they can double the size of Salem College with all math and science related classrooms. It will also have dorms fronting the streetcar route.

Historic Union Station
This building has moved closer to construction, with the city looking for a contractor. I've heard it won't start construction until November 2014, but I guess we will see? This is part of the rail streetcar system.

Plant 64 Mixed-use Project
We really need more photographs in this thread. I don't think anyone is commenting due to the lack of photography. The GC recently uploaded a few photographs of this nearly 250 apartment development, with its 10,000 square feet of retail and underground parking. At $55 million, it's a noteworthy project. So far, work hasn't started on the retail structure along Fourth Street, but the residential and amenity buildings are under renovation right now. This site is actually five different buildings, ranging in height from 3-7 storeys.

All images are from Capstone. Image Source

Some parts of Plant 64 are further along than others.

Chatham Mill
We are now discovering the metal panels were actually covering beautiful historic buildings at the Chatham Mills site. Very interesting.