View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 16, 2007, 2:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon12 View Post
Ozone, you're not the only one on this thread that lives in the grid. Many of us do. I walk miles every week in the grid. So do most of the people I know that live midtown, including many on this forum. I have to be honest with you, I have NEVER heard one person that lives in the grid other than you complain about one-way streets. I just don't see the problem and people I know just aren't talking about it, so it must not be a problem in their eyes either.

The city spends too much f#$%ing money playing around with the streets. First it's parallel parking, then it's Diagonal. First it's a four-way stop, then it's a traffic circle. First it's two-way, then it's one-way, then maybe it's two-way again? Add to all this the countless traffic studies, environmental impact reports, lawsuits, etc. It's just nonsense. The streets are fine. Let's work on something else!
That's bizarre because I hear people bitch about our one-way mini-freeways all the time. I'm not meaning to delegitamize you in any way but I travel the grid by bike, foot, public transit exclusively. When I come up to a one-way, even with just two lanes, cars fly by inches from me going 65 like it's a freeway! Beyond being an inconvenience, it puts peoples lives at much greater risk. I agree that there needs to be a fine balance but Sac is an incredibly easy city to drive in and out of, much easier than a similar sized city like Portland. But let's face it, the suburbs wield immense power in this city as indicated by the obscene level of sprawl and they want to leave work downtown as quickly as possible so they can try to beat traffic caused by their own sprawl. Meanwhile, everyone in the urban core pays the price.

And does anyone know what happened with the conversion plans?