View Single Post
Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 1:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
What a ridiculously simplistic over generalization. This just smacks of more of your same, tired "Canada good, U.S. bad" tirades of late.

I'm guesing you must have been in the oh-so-upscale and booming Walden Galleria in Buffalo? Hardly indicative of the "best" in a major metropolitan area of the U.S.
I was in Beechwood Place in Cleveland. I have been to the big malls in Metro Detroit. My parents have been to the big malls in Metro Phoenix, etc.
The malls in the USA just don't get as busy as the Canadian ones.

There is a reason why Canadian malls on average have double the sales per sq foot than even the busiest malls in the USA. And one of those reasons sited was because Canada did not overbuild its retail.

There are other reasons as well. American malls are not centres of public transit routes like Canadian malls are, and that was sited as another reason Canadian malls do so well.

At the end of the day America just has too much shopping, and places are cannibalizing each other. There is no reason at all that one city needs 20 branches of one store, or 10 malls, etc. It is just too much.