View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 1:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisallard5454 View Post
I don't like the sounds of this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...y-changes.html

I also don't like the photo of the president. Looks smug while destroying the University's integrity.
UW has been going in the opposite direction for sure. In the early 1990s, there were 2 faculties at UW - Faculty of Arts and Sciences and Faculty of Theology each with one Dean. Now, faculties are multiplying: 1) Arts, 2) Science, 3) Education, 4) Kinesiology and Applied Health (starting next year), 5) Business and Economics, 6) Theology, not to mention the addition of 2 nebulous 'colleges' -- 7) The Global College and the 8) Richardson College for the Environment. Each Faculty has a Dean, and usually an Associate Dean, plus an array of administrative staff. The 'Colleges' each have a "Principal" (analogous to a Dean) plus staff. The UW went from having one of the smallest administrative structures to having the amongst the largest in Canada.

I am not sure this necessarily serves students better given that traditional majors (departments) are simply reorganized under an expanding administrative structure. I imagine some day, the UW may contract the number of faculties to save some dough, but this will not necessarily change the student experience or the number of available majors.