View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2009, 6:25 PM

Well if they build it, which they should, then they should run it from Lake city station. Its only 350m longer by my counts but doesnt go over the top of any residential housing. It goes over mostly industrial buildings, AND straight over the storage tanks therefore minimizing environmental impacts and could very well be cheaper. More importantly it lines up absolutely perfectly with a landing on the Belcarra penisula at the old thermal station. Its only a extra 2.5km. You can run it to the bottom of the hill where you can link it up with the Hastings express bus that can bypass SFU and head to Port Moody and the Evergreen line. Then it just crosses the water and ends at a park and ride and a bus loop. The old thermal plant lands are planed to be redeveloped and this would be a pretty nice catalist, not to mention the owners could become partners and help pay for a part of it. In any case the time savings that it would lead to for the people in the area would be huge so I could see it attracting alot of new riders, there are thousands of people living there already in Anmore, Belcarra and northern Port Moody. If it would have the same specs as the Peak to Peak in Whistler than it would take 8min from Lake City to SFU, 3min from SFU to Barnett highway and then 3min from Barnett highway to Belcara. That means 14min from Belcara to Lake City skytrain, add to that 30sec per station and its a nice even 15min trip. Peak to Peak has a frequency of 49seconds.
Just build the dam thing to Belcara and be proactive, it be great and I cant see it not being feasible.

here is a map...

where it says opened up roads there already are roads but their part of the old thermal plant and would probably need a bit of widening and fixing up.

Also keep in mind again that it goes over only industrial land, no residential, this should cut costs and minimize issues.
If the Production way proposal costs 70mill than this entire thing could be under 140mill and I wouldn't be surprised if you could get the entire cost back from developers in the Belcara area, most notably the owner of the old Thermal plant(forget the name).