View Single Post
Old Posted Jun 2, 2009, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
I was talking about examples that have occurred, not hypothetical fantasies you made up in your mind about Wrigley field or somewhere else losing all credibility as a sports stadium because the owners no longer call it Wrigley. You never once provided an example of a name change happening and actually tarnishing the image or brand of a baseball team. In fact, after Comisky was demolished and replaced with US Cellular field, didn't the White Sox brand take off, even winning the World Series (not saying they won because of it, but their popularity and attendance rose despite the fact there was a name change)?
I guess I should have added past examples too, but I felt the broad principle is well illustrated by the very widely-known and very recent stadium naming discussions I mentioned. But stadium analogies can pose a problem since the underlying product continues to change, and often improve, regardless of whether the name changes, while buildings change little if at all once built.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nowhereman1280 View Post
Ok, if the new name doesn't take, then why does it matter? Don't you realize its circular arguementation to answer the question "If the name doesn't take then why does it matter?" with "because the name doesn't take"... I thought that most people learned in grade school that you can't answer a question with the subject of the question...
The circularity was intentional, since you were answering your own question. I will re-do it fully: The new name (Willis Tower) doesn't take hold (because the tower is no longer #1 so people don't care nearly as much), so you keep the original name (Sears Tower) because that name has widely been known (for decades while it was #1) as being associated with supremacy, so you get a free ride off your laurels.

I have bored myself now and probably everyone else.

The neat thing is, we can just wait several years and see how it all actually turns out.