View Single Post
Old Posted May 14, 2013, 8:41 PM

The Streets of Kolkata

Lucky stop XIII of the Asian Saga, Kolkata. If you missed stop XII, see it here. Kolkata was really a more of a means to an end than a destination for me. I had to fly back to China from India and since I was passing through Kolkata to do so, I thought it would be wise to spend a day or two in the city. I'm pretty happy I did as it felt very different from other Indian cities I had been to previously.

Oddly, much of the place reminded me of Havana, Cuba with the colonial architecture and the prevalence of the Ambassador cars. The Ambassadors aren't necessarily old like the cars in Cuba, it is just that the design doesn't look like it has been updated since the early 60s. I really only had one day in the city so I didn't have as much time as I'd have liked to explore. I wanted to visit the famous Howrah bridge and a few more temples but never had the chance. I did catch a small festival at Kali Ghat but missed the animal sacrifice that was to occur the next morning. I don't have a lot of observations to offer since I was there so briefly. The subway was one of the most crowded I have ever been on, maybe one of the cheapest too.

Namesake of the thread, see if you can spot the album in the photos.

Video Link

That ends India. Next I'll put on my spy cam and venture into the hermit kingdom of North Korea.