View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 1, 2017, 4:06 PM
Moran supreme

Looking back through this thread, I can honestly say that Calgary really does not have anything that should even be considered a suburban skyline - Calgary is a uni-city and until a cluster of high rises gets built in Airdrie, well we just won't be there. Yeah, Calgary has a few areas where there might be a cluster of 3 or 4 high rises but these clusters are certainly not attractive enough to create an environment that I would call vibrant. Calgary's Beltline - hell, many people already call that downtown and often you'll get called out if you say it isn't. The Brentwood TOD with it's current 4 buildings is a good start but it's too little and it's very sterile. Others like London Square on Macleod - there's nothing there that currently makes it an area I would call a destination. If I've got a Saturday afternoon that I might spend wandering around an area to see what it's shops and restaurants/pubs might offer, it certainly isn't going to be London Square or Brentwood TOD - the small Westbrook cluster, nothing there at all to attract someone to browse or stop by.

Yupp, I'll probably get chastised by some for having such a viewpoint but I've lived in Calgary since 1979 and have visited almost all of Canada's major cities save for the east coast and I'd say only the Vancouver and Toronto metros truly have suburban skylines. Calgary, probably won't ever happen or at least in my lifetime.