View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 9, 2012, 1:43 PM

As far as large-scale development goes, I believe this project may be one of the biggest for Chattanooga in the near-future. We're talking about one of the most highly visible locations in the city. Yes, there's no direct interstate access, but it's not like the site is inaccessible. I have my fingers crossed that something "big" will happen. I want something out of the box that will make Chattanooga stand apart (and not a Bass Pro Shop - no offense, Memphis).

Converting shuttered US Pipe and Wheland plants to commercial, housing space

"Chattanooga's U.S. Pipe and Wheland Foundry site was once a metal city buzzing with thousands of laborers. But the cathedrals to capitalism have since turned to labyrinths of dust and rust.

Today, the ruined buildings at the throbbing Interstate 24 artery provide little aesthetic or economic value to the city, though the stories of the site's heyday still resonate for those who remember them.

Property owners now hope that a recent plan to route the Riverwalk nature trail through the site will provide the spark needed to spur development. Along with Tim McGraw's rowdy music video "Truck Yeah," which was shot on site in August, the recent signs of life have ignited interest in the long-dormant property."

Full article here: http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/2...sinesstnvalley