View Single Post
Old Posted Dec 3, 2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
i don't like this notion that Taiwan is always pro-american, and they definitely do NOT comform to American Culture. In my most recent trip to Taipei, I realized that the coolest thing amongst young people is kpop, followed by jpop and domestic music. the days where everything american was considered 'cool' has long since passed, and this pan-asian youth culture can be seen anywhere along the pacific rim.

Townhouses is a uniquely californian term, to describe a type of architecture that only exists in california. Townhouses are conjoined homes that represent usually just 2-3 units almost always split vertically in half, so each side has two floors. visually they look like one giant home split in half.

In San Francisco, we have row houses where each house is indivdually styled but attached to the house next to it.

Brownstones are usually 5 floor walk-ups that consists of a number of condos on each floor, and the building themselves do not look like houses, but large blocks.

It seems like the pictures above are Californian Townhouses.
'townhouse' is NOT uniquely a california term. california/the west coast was settled several hundred years after the east coast was first populated. it was the english colonists and other europeans who first introduced the townhouse concepts and such architecture from europe to the northeast/new england area. so we've always used the word 'townhouse' in new york/east coast. and it's only called 'brownstone' if it's genuinely constructed of brownstone.

madonna's $32.5 million dollar manhattan townhouse

http://curbed.com/archives/2009/06/2..._townhouse.php