View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 28, 2007, 12:04 AM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poopysheep View Post
i will chime in on the mexican food .... i lived in mexico for 5 years and my sister has been there for 16 years ... i've traveled all over the country... north, south, yucatan, central... the DF... and this shit that they peddle in this country as mexican food isn't even passable on any level AT ALL... mexicans do not eat sour cream ( the only place you can buy it there is in friggin walmart )... they do not put lettuce and tomatoes on tacos... EVER... guacamole does not have tomatoes in it ( its usually just puree avocado ) and they don't eat vegetables ...

most mexicans eat alot of caldo or sopas ( rich broth style soups of chicken or beef or unmentionables like pig skin and tripe ) tons of fast fry style steak and pork... milanesa ( breaded cutlet in chicken beef or pork).. guisados ( meat or veggie in a sauce much like an indian curry only with different spices) with spanish rice and tortillas and tacos are chopped up beef, or pork... or tongue or brain or all number of nastiness ( barbacoa btw does NOT mean bbq ) and they are served with fresh chopped cilantro and onion ( that would be "con verdura" veggies) and fresh key lime... on the table you'll see a red and a green salsa... the red is hot the green is made from tomatillos... no lettuce... no sour cream.... no tomatos or cheddar cheese ( which also up until about 8 years ago it was near to impossible to even find cheddar cheese in a store )...

ok rant off... can you tell i get pissed about "mexican food" in canada...
You're absolutely right, except that in tourist resorts in Mexico it's common to have our style of Mexican food,. Of course that doesn't really count.

Thing to remember about ethnic foods is that here in Canada they rarely are they way the are in the country of origin. I've been all around the world India, China/Southeast Asia, Middle East, Africa, Europe, Mexico....out of all the places I've been only Greek food is served here the way it is in the country of origin.

It's not just Canada, it seems to be that way in other countries. I've tried Indian food everywhere I've been, and the closest to India would be the Middle east, but even then it's still different. I just accept it as a local spin on someone else's dish.