View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2011, 4:08 AM

Bevo highlights something for me.

The rest of the country outside of the Northeast regards rail as something almost foriegn.

It seems to me that trying to push high speed rail is kind of putting the cart before the horse.

Even if we weren't facing the financial crunch we are in, very few people at all actively utilize the nations rail network, I'd be surprised if many knew we HAD one. Therefore, it isn't surprising that some people have greeted the prospect of true High Speed Rail service with skepticism. Our traditional rail service is so lousy.

Wouldn't the president and whoever comes after him who actually favors non-road based infrastructure be better served by making a concerted "LETS DO RAIL" push? More specifically, there needs to be stronger lobbying for and care of Amtrak's existing service, investing in existing lines and getting them up to speed is the best way of demonstrating that rail is part of the future. To many it's still part of the past.

The rehabilitation and reinvestment in our rail network needs a large PR program like the Highways and car culture did back in the day. Otherwise, people just aren't going to buy into it outside of a few circles.