View Single Post
Old Posted Apr 20, 2017, 5:14 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxtex View Post
i wish this board would embrace the idea that suburban town centers are good. multiple cbd's with multiple supporting neighborhoods make sense. the notion that a single, all powerful and central cbd is outdated. people and their jobs are less static than they used to be, and one of the missing pieces is interconnecting all of the outlying nodes with transit. the re-urbanized central cities isn't a passing fad but don't think growth is limited to central neighborhoods. gas is cheap and people are still buying suv's like it was 1993. until suburban life become cost prohibitive in a meaningful way, than its growth will continue. that doesn't mean suburbanites can't be urbanists. they need urban light though. the perception needs to be that its fun, not a necessity. but you can trick them and add a little office space in with their retail and café table dining....
Agreed. Especially so in big sprawled out cities where between traffic and distance, it can take an hour or so to get to downtown. It's 30 miles from our house to downtown which is why my wife and I often opt to go to small local town center a mile or so away instead.