View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 31, 2019, 6:57 PM
somewhere in-between

We are getting renderings now for the redevelopment of the site that once was home to the Klover Gold Creamery. Closed in 1997 having being in business for almost 80 years, the site is now being sold to Hollander Development Corp. for $65,000. The planned development is called simply, "The Creamery" and is intended to provide 48 1 and 2-BR units. 15 of those would be designed for 30% area median income, and the remaining would be for 70 to 120% area median income. Also included would be about 7,500 SF of ground floor commercial, to include a 1,500 SF business incubator space. Hollander Development Corp. itself reportedly plans to relocate five workers to a new office here.

This would be right near Washington Square, the center of revitalization efforts for the Edison Neighborhood. I think the design looks good, and appropriate to the area in scale, massing, and materials. I can't post photos right now for some reason (I blame the polar vortex), but you can see the renderings at the link below - EDIT - I was able to get the images to work now.

Quote:
Edison Neighborhood looks forward to The Creamery with its mix of residential and business spaces
Al Jones | Second Wave Media
January 31, 2019

Kids had to walk past the vacant and run down Klover Gold Creamery Co. buildings at Portage and Lake streets to get to the Washington Square Branch of the Kalamazoo Public Library. Kelly Clarke pictured them coming from the Boys & Girls Club at 915 Lake St. She didn’t like the idea of boys and girls having to make their way past potentially dangerous buildings. So she’s happy the Edison Neighborhood Association, the Local Initiatives Support Corporation and, her organization, the Kalamazoo County Land Bank, spearheaded their demolition in 2011. And she’s even happier that a developer’s plan to build a 48-unit apartment and commercial structure is moving along on the 1.3-acre parcel at the southeast corner of Portage and Lake streets...
Source: Second Wave Media | Courtesy Hollander Development Corp. / Byce & Associates

Last edited by deja vu; Jan 31, 2019 at 7:52 PM.