View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 13, 2018, 7:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ifyoubuildit View Post
McLaughlin Road is closed at the exact entry point to the future Granit Street access to Costco do to flooding. I don’t undwestand how a country road with zero infrastructure and apparent flooding can support traffic going to Costco. Is that even safe? It also looks like the new Granit extension is being built very close to that creek at McLaughlin, aren’t roads suppose to be built far away from substantial natural water ways to protect the environment?
I understand your concerns.

The extension of Granite through to McLaughlin at present is not meant to be a major traffic conduit, but rather an emergency second point of egress in case of traffic disruption at the Granite/Elmwood intersection.

The reason for this is because this western section of Granite extends beyond the municipal service boundary, and city council is digging in it's heels regarding further urban sprawl to the north of the TCH. As such, this section of Granite will be unserviced, and no building permits will be issued on this section of Granite. The intersection of Granite & McLaughlin will be signalized, but will not be a multilane intersection. I don't believe there are any current intentions to build a new McLaughlin/TCH interchange (although there are future plans for such an intersection).

I appreciate the intent of city council, but I think this intent to limit sprawl north of the TCH on Granite will be short lived. I think there will be considerable pressure by developers to allow additional retail growth in this area over the next 10-15 years or so. Costco is a powerful retail draw, and many other retailers would like to colocate in the area to take advantage of this retail traffic. The resolve of city council to limit sprawl will ultimately dissolve in the face of potential increased property tax revenue from retail growth in the area. The municipal service boundary will be expanded and the west end of Granite upgraded. Ultimately a new interchange at McLaughlin and the TCH will be built. This is when your concerns will be dealt with - likely in about 10 years time.......