View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 6:51 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
That's a lot of new stations. I guess that is because the commuter business is stronger than they anticipated? Adding all these stops to the Miami-Orlando express trains seems like a bad idea, so I'm guessing that they are going to start offering local and express services... which probably means even more than 32 trains per day running through the treasure coast cities. I bet they're going to be so happy!
To be fair, the Florida East Coast originally developed most of the towns there as railroad suburbs, so now naturally they want their trains back.

Brightline as it currently exists is basically a privately-run commuter rail line. The intercity market isn't going to get tapped until it reaches metro Orlando.
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallagasse View Post
The grade for I-15 is 6% which is too steep for HSR. In comparison the grade on BNSF's line is 2.2%, which is steep for trains. Trains are running roughly 20 mph on this grade. A little faster on the way down and a little slower on the way up. A lighter HSR train would likely be able to run a similar grade quicker but the speed drop is massive.

I believe an HSR line in both Japan and France go into the 3% range so such a grade is possible.
IOW a HSR line over Cajon would require a new alignment (assuming that I-15 is too steep and the BNSF route is too curvilinear).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)