View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 26, 2018, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Another one is that not everyone is heterosexual. It is common for gay men for example to get unwanted advances from women. Lately society has been obsessed about toilet protocols for the tiny percentage who are trans (which I don't necessarily see as a bad thing), yet most discussion on sexual harassment is extremely heteronormative. Just re-read this thread if you don't believe me.
I can empathise that the conversation tends to be dominated in a hetero-normative way, but that is partly simply a function of history, percentages, and volume of cases. It's just going to be a fact of life that one relationship in particular will dominate headlines, and that is the relationship of men sexually harassing women, especially as it relates to being in positions of power.

That said, I do see this as a rising tide lifts all boats situation, where other less voluminous (yet no less serious) cases will ride the coattails of the more widespread conversation about harassment. I do not see women -> men sexual harassment marginalised in conversations, or men -> men harassment marginalised - if anything, they seem to be less marginalised than the men -> women harassment relationship as evidenced by this thread.