View Single Post
Old Posted Jan 29, 2012, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantoneseboyLA View Post
The building with tri towers is still there today, albeit chopped down to a single story. It is now a Chinese business at its same corner entrance at northwest corner of Ord St and Spring. In the early 1980's, I used to go to the gambling hangout located above Yee Mee Loo's restaurant which was catty corner of the remains of the tri-towered building. I can see it from the second story window of the apartment above the restaurant. If you go inside, look for the remains of the original baseboard near the work area. And viewed from the south side wall, one of the original tall windows showed its cast iron pulleys from long replaced double-hung windows to louvre windows is still present. On have to look hard from across the corner street and visualized that the whole building's Ord St. length was shortened about midblock to 1/2 of its original size, and the Spring St. side was even narrowed even more. But its corner entrance is a dead giveaway. I knew the owner, an American of Chinese ancestry, who told me about his building was a large tri-towered building. I'm sorry to say, he was 90 years old at that time when he told me some 25 years ago.
Isn't there a photo of Yee Mee Loo building on 690 N. Spring St on the thread? It was built around 1915. I played Chinese Chess many times with my friends in the early 1980's which was upstairs above the 1930's restaurant reachable from 124 Ord St. It was located in China City.
Cantoneseboy, I'm sure if you and I sat down together, you could tell me some very interesting stories---as well as everyone else here, I must say.

Yes indeed, that building is still there, minus its upper floors. And, the building on the right in this pic:

Source: California State Library http://catalog.library.ca.gov/exlibr...UEKES2FT6B.jpg

...is where Philippe's is now.

photos by me

Ah, Philippe's. Like 3940dxer, though I like Philippe's, I like Cole's better; their lamb sandwiches are delicious.

Cole's

photos by me

~ Charles Bukowski