View Single Post
Old Posted Oct 15, 2013, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
They should raze that inefficient art space...
Wait, you mean the Arab World Institute? If so, you can't be serious. It's been a complete success. Notice it very nicely promotes the famous Middle-Eastern style of ornamentations and their lifestyle up to it's facade. Just quickly see this for yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Visible behind the glass wall, a metallic screen unfolds with moving geometric motifs. The motifs are actually 240 photo-sensitive motor-controlled apertures, or shutters, which act as a sophisticated brise soleil that automatically opens and closes to control the amount of light and heat entering the building from the sun. The mechanism creates interior spaces with filtered light — an effect often used in Islamic architecture with its climate-oriented strategies. The innovative use of technology and success of the building's design catapulted Nouvel to fame and is one of the cultural reference points of Paris.
An Arabic brise soleil also allows women to watch outside without being seen, or so I heard.

I wouldn't compare this tower to any other design, that'd be no use, but if the involved developers agree on paying what's necessary (fine materials) for it in New York, which they'll probably do given the location, it will be quite a legend. I guess everybody can see.