View Single Post
Old Posted Mar 2, 2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
This is a South Salt Lake City thing, so I think it goes here...
Parley's Trail. It's planned to run from Parley's Canyon all the way down to the Jordan River Trail. Some of that length will be along the S-Line trail. The TRAX bridge over Roper Yard on the Green Line was built to carry a bike trail on the south side, but was never finished.
UNTIL NOW. Or sometime this summer. It isn't actually open yet (as I was to discover), but on the east side of the bridge there was no construction barrier or sign saying it wasn't open yet, so I went on up and had a look. There is a new steel bridge over 600 West, installed over the winter, that allows this whole project to work. I think it will be my new favorite place to watch trains; it goes right over the yard, two mainline tracks, FrontRunner, and TRAX is up on the bridge with you. It's pretty great. I just wanted to share how much I love it:

This trail links 300 West with 900 West. At 900 West you need to 'jaywalk' across the road to get to the Jordan River Trail connector, which is about 900 feet south of the new trail's head. Hopefully a pedestrian signal (or better, grade separation) is in the planning stages. Then, all that will be left, is to somehow bridge the gap between 300 West and State Street - about 4 blocks. Once that is done, the trail will be complete. And it will be glorious. I love how much biking and walking infrastructure is being built out in the valley. It adds so much to the community and makes Salt Lake a great place to live.
Pics By Hatman