View Single Post
Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I'd like to see the total amount of money spent in Toronto over the past decade on roads vs. transit.
It's probably laughable. That's why the TTC is in such a mess. Keep in mind, the billions spent by upper government levels to surround Toronto in highways, sprawl and gridlock. In the GTA, transit recives a fraction of the money that roads and highways do, especially since the province and feds are more willing to pump millions into roads than transit. Remember, there's only 1 taxpayer.
It's quite amazing that we spend so much yet the system is only struggling to get by. We have to improve efficiency. Reloadable cards instead of tickets, automated trains are ways of saving money. As I read in the Toronto Star, in Hong Kong, their transit authority is a publicly traded company. It has to make money. It functions as a real estate developer. I'm not saying that's the solution in Toronto, but let's see some entrepreneurship, not the same old "we need another x billion dollars over the next few years" and we'll raise fares by a dollar in a matter of years...