View Single Post
Old Posted May 3, 2016, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wburg View Post
No, the funding is specifically to Sacramento Transit Authority, which includes Regional Transit. I think road funding would get delegated to county or cities on a project basis, but RT is the main entity operating public transit in the county (although I suppose Elk Grove's separate system would also get an allocation) On the bright side, adding 30% of that sales tax to the existing 16% that RT gets from Measure A, we end up with almost 1/2 cent of sales tax specifically for transit, which is roughly equivalent to what cities like San Jose, San Francisco and San Diego spend on transit. The 70% for roads is sad, it would be a lot nicer to have a more even balance, but it's a good start, and the emphasis for the roads portion of the funding is "Fix it First"--repair and upgrade existing road infrastructure before expanding. In the case of RT, the philosophy is similar--repair, upgrade, maintain, THEN expand. And apparently the additional funding for operation of streetcar comes from that 70%, so it really is a more balanced approach.
Interesting point about the streetcar...I didn't know that. That makes me really happy!