View Single Post
Old Posted May 12, 2012, 10:13 PM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
Not when the same transit agency is using the exactly same equipment to do both functions. Although generally streetcars are designed to go a max of 45 mph while light rail trains are usually a max of 55 mph. But the real max speed for streetcars in operation is the speed limit of all the other traffic on the same streets. That also usually sets the max speed of street running light rail trains too. This sort of makes the actually max speed of the streetcars/light rail trains equipment irreverent for street running applications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
LRT is also has 65mph variants which are very common.
Quote:
Originally Posted by electricron View Post
True, but I don't recall ever seeing any light rail trains going 65 mph in city streets. You will see those speeds in tunnels and aerial guideways where they are basically grade separated from other traffic. One could possibly build a streetcar going that fast, but why when their speeds are limited to speeds of the city streets? Could a streetcar ever accelerate to those speed before having to slow down for the next stop 1/8, 1/4, to 1/2 mile away?

We're not defining the differences between the vehicles anymore, but rather defining the difference between overall systems. Which is what I've been suggesting all along.
I wasn't making a case for LRT to be used at 65mph in city streets. I was simply pointing out that they max out at 65mph, not 55mph. Depends on the model, yes, but the splits between Streetcar max speeds and LRT max speeds should be: 45mph max for Streetcars and 65mph max for LRT. That was all, I was saying.