View Single Post
Old Posted Sep 12, 2019, 11:29 PM

Yes, there are tonnes of people who are born and bred around TO who don't have the accent like there's a lot of Brooklynites who don't speak like how they are widely portrayed.

A lot of this depends on what crowd you hung out with growing up and which part of the GTA you're from.

Strobmo I just read is from Malton, Mississauga, which is where YYZ is. It is heavily brown and black these days, but back in the day it was more diverse as it was home for so many blue collar airport industry workers. But back in his days for all we know he could have grown up around skids. In his Much Music days he had metal in his face and a chain hanging out of his pocket. Or he could have just outgrown it or purposely dropped it as he wanted to work in media.

If you're a WASPY kid in Oakville, Burlington, Georgetown, Newmarket or Uxbridge, etc., chances are you're not going to have the accent. But if you're of the "ethnic" type, including Eastern European, Italian, Portuguese, etc. then there's a strong chance you will develop some of that accent.

My inlaws are Polish but the kids all grew up playing hockey, mostly surrounded by white kids in upper middle class Etobicoke, Sauga, Oakville and now Burlington. My 14 year old niece in Burlington does not have the accent but she tells me so many of her schoolmates speak with the accent and Burlington has gotta be about 80% white, though I should point out this in the new section around Appleby, so it would be more diverse there.