View Single Post
Old Posted May 4, 2012, 1:06 AM
Stuck in the Suburbs

Yep. J and L. What was left of the mill was torn down to allow SouthSide Works to be built.
And welcome, both of you, Zachary and daviderik to the forum. I don't currently live in Pittsburgh, but lived near the city when I was a very young child, and had very good memories of my time there. I re-visited the place a few years back and fell in love again. I also had followed SSP for a few years before finally joining in January.

Not having checked up on this thread for a while (er, not procrastinated enough), I like what I'm seeing. That Riverfront Park looks quite nice, it's great to see that finally complete.
Empty lots in general tend to drive me mad, so a building is (generally) better looking than no building to my eyes. While the building for that empty lot is a bit bland, it seems to serve it's purpose fairly well, and has decent street-level interaction, while completing the look and feel of the intersection. Besides, it's on a side street, farther back in the development, so I wouldn't have expected the Sistine Chapel or anything at that location anyway.

Uptown and the Hill are, in my opinion, the next areas to 'rise', so to speak. Now that something is finally happening to the Civic Arena site, and the new Pens arena is done, there should be some momentum to get the development ball rolling in those areas. I really hope Uptown is developed within a reasonable time, it could be absolutely amazing if done right.