View Single Post
Old Posted Aug 29, 2009, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I agree with your distaste for the same old chain stores....unfortunately, the vast majority of suburban retail consumers say in one breath that they love to support the independant businesses including restaurants, but when push comes to shove, they frequent the same old places due to the familiarity etc...I call it the Holiday Inn (i.e no surprises) attitude..
I agree so much with what you say here... I drive to downtown or preston or any oher area for a good place to eat (independant place) but most people I know say they are but they don't. They think that a franchise that is owned by a local is the same thing as an independant restaurant...

Also, Ottawa is weird... Every big box plaza being built is a newer copy of an old one. SAME stores, SAME restaurants. Even in the big box business, it would be nice if other chains would show up in different parts of town but no. The lineup is pretty much the same everytime, the only thing that changes is the setup. When I talk to my neighbors, they all seem really excited that a Moxie's is coming to Innes rd. I can't get it. This is nothing new. You can now drive 10 more minutes to Blair and you are a t a Moxie's... What will make the Orleans location better? Same food, oh wait, a newer look... But what else. Barrhaven had once 3 localy owned (independant) restaurants: Terra Grill, Fiamma and Tuscan Grill. Terra Grill is now a Johnny Canuck's , Tuscan Grill is now closed and Fiamma has apparently changed owners and menus several times. Too bad that these places were better than the average franchise but Ottawa people prefer Boston Pizza, Montana's and Swiss Chalet...

So, that is the proof of what you said: but when push comes to shove, they frequent the same old places due to the familiarity etc..

I would also add: lack of taste. I love Ottawa, a copy and paste city!